For Old Women Who Find Their Wings
- You wake up, and leave the curtains closed.
- What will the neighbours think:
a. you’re still sleeping,
b. you died in your sleep.
- Listen to the weather.
- Give it a colour.
- Sit on the edge of the bed, feel your weight.
- Give your weight a colour that clashes with the weather.
- Straighten your spine, and wait for your joints to catch up.
- Press your toes against the floor, and
- Propel yourself into the weather. You can –
- Because you discover you have wings.
- Don’t look up, look down.
- Your target is a cloud.
- Your poem is catching up with that cloud, because
- The joy is chasing it, not catching it.
Day 4 of Glo/NaPoWriMo: Write a poetry prompt, and for Writers Digest Poetic Asides, write a catching up poem. ©Misky 2022 Shared with #amwriting #glopowrimo #napowrimo on Twitter
Leave a Reply